How to Trim Audio with Audacity
Trim Audio with Audacity
By Kendra D. Mitchell | Sep 16,2020 16:27 pm
If you’ve opened this article, it’s apparent that you’re looking for some good news about how to trim audio. Although there are a plethora of audio trimmers over the internet, very few can give you quality results. Worse still, most audio trimming apps come with complicated UIs. Luckily, you can use Audacity and some other top-class audio editing apps. So, today, we want to learn some simple Audacity trim audio methods to help you make quality audios seamlessly.
Part 1. How to Trim Sound Clips Using Audacity
Audacity is a popular sound editing app for desktops. It’s available to Mac, Windows, and Linux computers for free. It’s lightweight, straightforward, and supports the editing of audio formats like FLAC, MP3, AAC, and MKV. With this desktop app, users can cut, compress, mute, speed up, and many other audio editing functions. So, without dilly-dallying too much, let’s dive in and see how to trim a sound clip using Audacity.
Step 1: Download, install and run Audacity on your computer. After that, tap the “File” tab at the top menu toolbar and then choose “Open” to add your local audio file.
Step 2: Now drag the audio timeline to your preferred start point and click the “Trim” icon. It is the scissors-like icon on the top menu bar. Do the same to set an end time.
Note: You can drag the audio timeline and tap “Play” to preview your start or endpoint. Using this feature should help you cut the audio professionally.
Step 3: If you’res satisfied, click the “File” button, choose “Export” and then click “Export as MP3”. You can also export files as WAV or OGG.
Step 4: Last but not least, on the resulting “Export Audio” window, enter a file name, bitrate mode, quality, variable speed and channel. Finally, click “Save”.
Step 5: Choose whether you want to add metadata or not before tapping “Ok” to save your trimmed audio.
Part 2. Audacity Trim Audio Online Free Alternative
Although Audacity offers some excellent audio editing functions, it’s a bit complicated to use, especially for first-timers. Fortunately, with just your browser and a few mouse clicks, you can trim any audio file easily using Online UniConverter (Originally Media. Io). Because it’s a website, you don’t need to download and install anything on your computer. Also, unlike Audacity, which supports a limited number of formats, this website supports 10+ standard audio formats. You can edit FLAC, OGG, WAV, WMV, AU, MP3, you name it! And of course, it also enables the editing of video and image formats.
- Supports trimming of standard audio formats like FLAC, OGG, AAC, MP3, etc. with preset fade effects.
- Transcodes between standard audio formats easily and quickly.
- Converts and edits popular video formats such as MOV, VOB, MP4, FLV, and much more.
- Can convert and compress standard image formats like BMP, JPEG, TIFF, and PNG.
- Robust Audacity trim audio alternative for Apple Safari, IE, Google Chrome, Firefox, etc..
Below are the steps to trim audio online with Online UniConverter:
Step 1. Load your audio file
Visit this audio trimming website and then click the + icon to import your audio file. A more natural way is to drop it on the converter. Online UniConverter will begin loading your audio in seconds.
Note: You can also cut a YouTube video, which is a significant plus. To import a YouTube file, just paste a video URL in the provided space.
Step 2. Choose the start/endpoint
On your audio, you’ll see the trimming handles on the start point and endpoint of your sound. Drag them to your favorite start and endpoints. If you like, you can also preset the fade-in and fade-out effects.
Step 3. Save and download trimmed audio
After confirming that everything is neat and polished, tap Save To to choose a target format. I prefer MP3 because of its superior compatibility with devices. Lastly, click CUT to start trimming your audio.
When the trimming process is over, you’ll see a DOWNLOAD button where you can save the file to your local drive or Dropbox. It is that easy, honestly!
Part 3. Detailed Comparison Between Audacity and Other Free Alternatives
Up to this point, I’m confident that you’re pretty confused about which audio trimming app to use. That’s maybe because both of these audio trimmers are fast and provide high-quality results. So, to help you out, I’ve prepared a detailed comparison table with all that you need to know:
|App features||Audacity||Online UniConverter|
|Supported OS platforms||Linux, Windows, and macOS||Online, e.g. Google Chrome, Firefox, Apple Safari, Internet Explorer, and more|
|Supported audio formats||AU, OGG, AAC, MP4, M4A, M4R, FLAC, WMV, and more||MP3, FLAC, AAC, AIFF, and MKV, AAC, OGG, and more|
|Supported video formats||N/A||MP4, AVI, MOV, VOB, 3GP, MTS, DV, FLV, and more|
|Customer Support||N/A||7/24 customer support|
|Editing features||Trimming, Compressing, Converting, Adjusting Fade Effects. Etc.||Converting, Compressing, Trimming, Rotating, Etc.|
It is undoubtedly a close tie between these two beautiful apps. However, I prefer Online UniConverter because it is fast, feature-rich, and available on any device, including smartphones and tablets. Also, the user interface is pretty easy to navigate. But that aside, you can always use both apps.
- Add Music
- How to Add Background Music to a Video
- How to Add Music to Facebook Post
- How to Add Music to Instagram Video
- How to Add Music to Snapchat
- How to Add Music to Tiktok Video
- How to Add Music to Video
- How to Add Music to Youtube Video
- How to Add Sound to a Video
- How to Add Spotify Music to Video
- The Apps for Adding Music to Video
- How to Put Music to Video on iMovie
- Top 6 Android Apps to Add Music to Video
- 8 Best Websites for You to Listen to Hindi Songs
- Audio Cutter
- Best Audio Trimmer for Android
- 5 Best Free Music Ringtones Apps for Android and iPhone
- Best Free Online MP3 Cutter
- Best Ringtone Songs
- Best Way to Trim MP3 File Precisely
- How Do I Combine Multiple Files into One File
- How to Crop Audio Online
- How Can I Cut and Join MP3 Songs Online
- How to Cut Music on Garageband
- How to Cut Music on iMovie
- How to Edit Audio with Final Cut Pro
- How Do I Edit an MP3 Audio File
- How to Change Ringtone on iPhone
- How to Cut Music
- How to Make a YouTube Song Your Ringtone on Android
- How do You Make a Song Your Ringtone on iPhone
- How to Make Ringtone for iPhone Without iTunes
- How to Trim WAV File
- How to Merge MP3 Files Effortlessly
- How to Trim Audio with Audacity
- How to Trim MP3 on Mac and Windows 10
- How to Trim an MP3 File Online
- 6 Best Online Audio Editors
- Loop Video
- The Way to Stop Videos from Automatically Playing on Facebook
- How can I Play a Video on a Loop on Chromecast
- How to Loop a Video for Instagram Online
- How to Loop Video in HTML
- How do I Loop a Video on an Android
- How to Loop a Video online no Watermark
- How do I Loop a Video on My Phone
- Best Way to Loop Video on TV
- How do I Loop a Video on Twitter
- How do I Loop a Video on Vimeo
- Easy Ways to Loop YouTube Videos
- 5 Best Video Merger App for Android
- Mute Video
- Mute Video Android: How to Remove Audio from Video on Android Phone
- How to Mute A Video in iMovie Mac
- How to Remove Audio from Video in Premiere Pro/CC
- How to Mute A Video on iPhone Free
- Top 9 Ways to Mute Videos Online Easily
- How to Remove Audio from YouTube Videos
- Best Video Muter: How to Remove Audio from Videos [All Platforms]
- Easy Steps to Remove Audio from Video on Mac
- Top 3 Ways to Remove Audio from Video in Windows 10/8/7
- Top 10 Video Mute App: How to Remove Audio from Video in Mobile
- Video Editor
- The Best Video Editor: Filmora 9
- How to Restore VHS Tapes
- How to Trim an MP3 File with/without Windows Media Player
- How to Add Audio to Video Online
- 6 Methods to Add Caption to Video
- Top Special Effects Software Available 2020 for Windows and Mac
- How to Put Filters to Your Video?
- How to Add Subtitles/Text to AVI Video
- How to Add Subtitles to MP4 File Permanently
- Add Subtitles to Video/Movie Permanently-Free Simple
- How to Add Text to My Video for Free
- 2020 New Ways to Add Text to YouTube Video
- 7 Speed Up Video Apps That Google Definitely Don’t Want You to Know About
- Best Free AVI Editor You Should Know in 2020
- Best AVI Trimmer for Different Computer Systems and Methods
- Add Audio to Video Online: 6 Best Alternatives to Biteable
- Add Audio to Video Online: 3 Best Alternatives to Kapwing
- Top 5 iPhone APPs to add music to video
- How to Brighten a Video by Using Video Brightness Editor
- How to Change Video Format with High-Quality
- How to Change Video Resolution Easily on Different Platforms
- How to Make a Video File Smaller
- Teach You How to Crop Your Video Files Easily
- How to Edit MOV Video Files in Windows and Mac System
- 2 Different Ways to Teach You How to Edit MP4 Files
- How to Edit MPEG Files on Mac and Windows?
- How to Edit Your Video on Windows and Mac
- How to Edit YouTube Videos for Free
- Fast Motion iOS APPs That Will Change the Way You Create Video
- 5 Best Video Speed Controllers in 2020
- How to Rotate or Flip an MP4 Video File in Windows & Mac
- Video Flipping Tutorial: How to Flip& Mirror& and Rotate a Video File
- Top 5 FLV Video Editor
- Free Apps to Add Music to Video
- How to Grow Youtube Channel Fast
- What Studies Say about Slow Motion
- How to Slow Down a Video on iPhone
- TOP 6 Fast Motion Video Speed Controller Software
- The Ways about How to Speed up a Video on Android
- How to Speed up a Video on iMovie
- 7 Reasons Why It's Great to Know How to Speed up a Video on iPhone
- How to Downsize MOV(QuickTime) File Size
- How to Slow Down TikTok Video
- How to Make Video Louder
- Online MP4 Video Cutter-Super Easy to Crop MP4 File
- Top Video Editor Tools for MP4 Video File
- MPEG Video Trimmer -Fast MEPG Cut
- Remove Audio/Sound from Video
- 7 Easy Ways to Remove Audio from MP4 File
- Tips on Rotate 3GP Video to 90/180 Degrees
- How to Rotate MP4 Video File Extension
- How to Rotate a Video
- I Tried Slow Down Youtube Videos and Even I Was Surprised About What Happened Next
- Slow Motion VS Fast Motion
- Slow Motion iOS Apps That will Change the Way You Create Video
- TOP 8 Software for Making Slow Motion Video
- I Tried Speed up My Youtube and Even I Was Surprised About What Happened Next
- Slow Motion Android Apps That are Proven To Make Your Videos Special
- The Science about Fast Motion
- Tik Tok is the Simplest Way to Make Slow Motion?
- Add Audio to Video Online: Top 5 Alternatives to Clideo
- MP4 Cutter: How to Trim an MP4 Video File?
- Top 7 Free Video Trimmer Software for Windows
- Top Video Cropper Software for Mac and Windows
- Best Online and Desktop Video Cutter Review-You Need to Know
- Top Video Editing for Mac
- Best 25 Video Editing Software in 2020
- Top 15 Video Editing For Windows in 2020 – You Should Know
- Top 10 Video Enhancers to Improve Video Quality
- How to Make Your Video Faster or Slower Online
- Three Ways to Watermark Your Video on Mac
- The Most Valuable WebM Editor to Use
- The Best Free WMV Editor - Beginner Friendly
- Top 18 Best YouTube Video Editing