Google Pixel 4a 5G Review: Everything You Need to Know
Help at the speed of 5G
By Kendra D. Mitchell | Jan 08,2021 19:24 pm
Smartphone developers are angling to release 5G phones. Well, during Google’s September 30, 2020 Night Launch event, the company introduced two brand new flagships – Google Pixel 5 and Google Pixel 4a 5G. Unlike their predecessors, Google Pixel 4XL and Google Pixel 4, these new smartphones pack 5G connectivity, improved cameras, and excellent battery life. So, if you’re looking to buy a Google 5G phone, read this Pixel 4a 5G review post first.
- Part 1. Google Pixel 4a 5G Specs & Features
- Part 2. Google Pixel 4a 5G Release Date and Price
- Part 3. Google Pixel 4a 5G Design & Display
- Part 4. Google Pixel 4a 5G Camera
- Part 5. Google Pixel 4a 5G Software
- Part 6. Google Pixel 4a 5G vs Google Pixel 4a vs Google Pixel 4
- Part 7. Where to Buy: Google Pixel 4a 5G Best Deals
Part 1. Google Pixel 4a 5G Specs & Features
Below is a list of some important Google Pixel 4a 5G features to expect:
- Google Pixel 4a 5G Display: 6.2-inch OLED
- Google Pixel 4a 5G Camera: 12.2MP primary camera, 16MP ultra-wide
- Google Pixel 4a 5G Battery: 3885mAh
- Google Pixel 4a 5G OS: Android 11
- Google Pixel 4a 5G Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon 765G
Part 2. Google Pixel 4a 5G Release Date and Price
As I’ve mentioned earlier, the Google Pixel 4a 5G release date coincided with Pixel 5. This smartphone will start retailing at $499, which is $200 less than what you’ll pay for the Pixel 5. However, that’s a few bucks more expensive than the Google Pixel 4a price. But the good news is that the Pixel 4a 5G is one of the cheapest 5G smartphones around, compared to other notable brands like the Samsung Galaxy S20 and iPhone 12. You can make a preorder on most online stores as the phone will start retailing on October 15.
Part 3. Design & Display
First and foremost, Google Pixel 4a 5G design construction comes in either Just Black or Clearly White colors. The Just Black version comes with a white or light green power button with, of course, a smooth black finish. The power button of the Clearly White version comes in mint green or orange. At the back, you’ll find a fingerprint sensor just below the camera lens with a USB-C port at the bottom edge. Plus, it comes with stereo loudspeakers, with one doubling up as the earpiece.
As for the Google Pixel 4a 5G display, users will get a massive 6.2-inch OLED panel with a 1080 x 2340 resolution. It supports a 19.5:9 aspect ratio and a pixel density of 413ppi. For protection, the screen uses Gorilla Glass 3. This seventh generation glass protection is sleek, thin, and light. And as expected, the Pixel 4a 5G has an always-on display for permanently displaying the date, time, weather, battery level, and so on, depending on the situation.
Part 4. Camera
Google Pixel 5 and Google Pixel 4a 5G camera setups are finally joining the dual league of the Samsungs and iPhones of this world. Like the iPhone 11 camera range, the Pixel 4a 5G features a 12MP rear main with an 84-degree field of view. It also goes a notch higher with a 107-degree 16MP ultra-wide sensor. This makes it stand up against most midrange 5G smartphones with multiple rear cameras. Selfie lovers will have to make do with the 8MP front sensor.
As usual, Google sensors are known for their prowess in low-light surroundings, and the Pixel 4a 5G continues with the tradition. The Night Sight feature will help you take excellent portrait shots in dark environments as the HDR+ works in the background to ensure sharper photos.
As for the video quality, this Google phone can take 4K videos at 30 frames per second, 1080p at 30/60/120 frames per second, and 720p at 30 frames per second. You can also capture super slo-mo at 240 frames per second. It doesn’t stop there, though, because it also offers three stabilization modes – Active, Locked, and Cinematic Pan. In conclusion, Google phones have some of the most advanced camera systems in the smartphone realm.
Part 5. Software
A 5G phone should come with a 5G-worthy chipset, and Pixel 4a 5G doesn’t disappoint. Like Pixel 5, it runs on the powerful Android 11 and a Snapdragon 765G processor. Compared to the Pixel 4a’s Snapdragon 730G, the Pixel 4a 5G promises to be faster and smoother. So, given its lower price, Google actually went overboard here.
Meanwhile, Google didn’t improve much from last year’s Pixel 4a 6GB RAM as the Pixel 4a 5G spots the same. Now that’s slightly lower than the 8GB on Pixel 5, although you’ll have to pay for it. Google Assistant also features prominently, thanks to the improved gesture controls. As usual, it supports the typical ‘Okay Google’ or ‘Hey Google’ wake words. After that, you can get it to download a Google Play Store app, browse the internet, make calls, send messages, and so on. And yes, the transcription accuracy of this smart app is out of this world.
Part 6. Google Pixel 4a 5G vs. Google Pixel 4
First forward, not all upgrades mean better performances. For example, last year’s Google Pixel 4XL packs a better processor than this year’s flagships. This phone comes with the superior Snapdragon 855 and a flexible memory capacity of 64GB and 128GB, respectively. So, if you’re still stuck choosing, refer to this comparison table.
|Specs||Google Pixel 4a 5G||Google Pixel 4a||Google Pixel 4|
|OS||Android 11||Android 10, upgradeable to Android 11||Android 10 upgradeable to Android 11|
|Processor||Snapdragon 765G||Snapdragon 730G||Snapdragon 855|
|Display size||6.2-inch OLED||5.8-inch OLED||5.7-inch OLED|
|Camera||8MP front, 12.2MP rear main, 16MP ultra-wide||8MP front, 12.2MP rear main||8MP front, 12.2MP rear main, 16MP telephoto|
|Internal Storage||128GB||128GB||64GB, 128GB|
Part 7. Where to Buy: Google Pixel 4a 5G Best Deals
Have you decided to get the Google Pixel 4a 5G? Hop in at Google Store and place an order today! Google Pixel 4a 5G sale price starts at $499 in most online stores. In the US, buyers can also make preorders at AT&T and Verizon, although we expect other online retailers to make it available soon.
- $499 for Google Pixel 4a 5G at Best Buy
With the company finally taking a plunge into the 5G waters, we should expect more improvements on the Google Pixel 4a 5G in the future. For instance, the battery life isn’t the best, and so is the non-expandable internal storage. But considering the price, it’s a great start for Google.
Pro Tip: With a phone this size, it’s evident that you’d like to watch some movies and listen to music. Unfortunately, media files can come in many complicated formats. That’s why I recommend Wondershare UniConverter. It’s a desktop program that will convert your media files to any file format, including MP4, MP3, MOV, OGG, and so on. You can even transcode video files to device optimized presets like Google Pixel.
Step 1. Open the Video Converter
Install and run Wondershare UniConverter and then tap Video Converter. Next, click the Folder button to upload photos or merely drag-and-drop them.
Step 2. Choose a target format
After uploading your videos, tap the Output Format textbox and then press the Device tab. Click Google before choosing Pixels. You can also tab the Video tab and select MP4, which is a universal video file format.
Step 3. Convert files
Connect your Google phone to your computer and then choose it as the storage destination under File Location. Lastly, click Start All.
- Google Phone
- 10 Best Free Games on Google Play (2021)
- 10 Best Free Movie Apps on Google Play 2020
- 10 Best Free Music Apps on Google Play 2021
- Hey Google: A Complete Guide for Google Assistant
- Google Chromecast (2020) Released: Works with the Apps You Love
- Best Google Doodle Stories and Doodle Games
- Google Gmail Tips and Tricks
- Google Home App: Tips and Tricks
- Google Map 2020 Updates: What's New?
- Google Nest Audio Speaker Released: Best Companion for Your Pixel Phone
- Google Pixel 4 XL Review: Everything You Need to Know
- Google Pixel 4a 5G Review: Everything You Need to Know
- Google Pixel 5 Review: Everything You Need to Know
- Best Google Hidden Games
- Google Pixel Buds 2020 Review: Google's Competent AirPods Alternative
- How to Download and Install the Google Play Store
- How to Use Google Translate: Tips and Tricks
- Google Pixel 5 vs. Samsung S20 Comparison - Which Phone Wins?
- Huawei Phone
- iPhone & iOS
- EarPods vs AirPods: Do AirPods Worth the Extra $100
- Apple HomePod Mini Released: Everything You Want to Know
- iPad Air 4 vs. Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 - Which is the Premium Tablet?
- Apple iPad Air 4 vs. Apple iPad Pro - Which One to Buy?
- Apple iPad Air 4 (2020) Review: What's New?
- Apple Watch Series 6 vs Apple Watch SE – Which One to Pick?
- Apple Watch Series 6 Review: What's New?
- The Best iPhone 11 Cases 2021
- Best iPhone 11 Deals: How to Buy iPhone 11& 11 Pro& and 11 Pro Max with Best Prices
- iPhone Photo Apps – Learn All about the 10 Best Photo Apps for iPhone in 2020
- iPhone Case – Make Your Own Custom iPhone 11 Case
- Top 10 Fashion iPhone 11 Cases
- How to Use Find My iPhone to Locate Lost or Stolen Phone
- iPhone 11 vs Galaxy S20 Comparison - Which One to Buy?
- How to Use Google Map Tips and Tricks
- How to Backup Your iPhone - An Ultimate Guide
- How to Set Ringtone in iPhone with iTunes
- How to Reset iPhone: A Complete Guide
- How to Recover Deleted Pictures on iPhone?
- How to Screen Record and Do Screenshots on iPhone
- How to Unlock iPhone
- iOS 14 Released – New Features to Unlock!
- iPhone 11 All Colors Comparison! Which One to Choose?
- iPhone 11: How To Take Screenshot
- iPhone 11 Lineup Comparison - How to Decide Which One to Buy?
- iPhone 11 vs. iPhone SE 2020 Comparison - Which Is Better?
- iPhone 12 Lineup Comparison - How to Decide Which One to Buy?
- iPhone 12 Mini vs. iPhone SE 2020 Comparison: Should You Buy the New iPhone 12 Mini
- iPhone 12 vs. Samsung S20: The Battle of 2020's 5G Phones
- iPhone 12 Pro Max vs Samsung S20 Ultra vs Samsung Note 20 Ultra Comparison: Everything You Need to Know
- iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max Review: The Wait is Over
- iPhone 12 vs. Google Pixel 5 Comparison - Everything You Need to Know
- iPhone 12 Review: Everything You Need to Know
- How to Fix iPhone Face ID When It's Not Working
- How to Log in to iCloud on Your iPhone and Use iCloud Family Sharing
- How to Share iPhone Live Photo to Instagram - A Complete Guide
- iPhone Wallpapers – Best iPhone 11 WallPaper in 2021
- iPhone Podcast – Everything about the Best Podcast Apps for iPhone in 2020
- Apple iPhone SE 2 2020 - Everything You Need to Know
- How to Transfer Data From An Old iPhone to A New iPhone
- How to Set A Live Photo as Lock Screen Wallpaper on iPhone
- iCloud Storage Is Full: Tips to Help You Manage Your iCloud Storage
- How to Take Great Photos with Your iPhone Camera
- One Plus Phone