Convert BMP to PNG in A Few Seconds
How to Convert Bitmap to PNG Format
By Kendra D. Mitchell | Sep 17,2020 11:27 am
BMP or the Bitmap Image Extension and PNG or Portable Network Graphics are two of the most widely used image storage and readability formats around the world. People often have to convert BMP to PNG due to a variety of places that it’s used. There are a lot of online tools as well as offline software that allow such conversion in high quality. Bitmap to PNG conversions is easy to do and do not require any expertise in the field. Experts and occasional editors heavily rely on these software programs for their daily needs. These tools can be used for a lot of different conversions and editing procedures due to the vast support library and tons of options. People convert BMP images to PNG to enhance the usability of an image as it offers flexibility in editing. Read the following article carefully to understand the differences and learn ways to convert them.
Part 1. Online Way to Convert BMP to PNG for Free
If you do not want to fill up space in your hard drive by installing software, there are a lot of online tools that can help you to convert these images easily. These tools are powerful enough to get you through your needs easily. The following are some of the best online conversion tools.
- Simple interface, few conversion steps, and fast conversion speed are the main attractive reason to use it.
- If you think the online UniConverter is useful, you could install the desktop version for more functions.
- An online website worth trusting.
- It supports BMP to PNG and vice versa.
Drop it like it's hot
Add your files by dropping them in this window
Comparison with These Online BMP to PNG Tools
All these tools are compelling and can be used by experts as well as rookies in editing, one thing to note if you are comparing them is the fact that all their essential services are free. Hence, you should judge them accordingly. The following is a comparison of these tools based on different criteria.
Speed: All these tools have excellent processing speed as they use the latest cloud technology for performing different tasks. Despite this, Convertio and Zamzar are used more often as their servers are a bit stronger, which allows for a bit faster performance over their competitors.
Usability: All these tools offer great usability as they can be used from anywhere. Zamzar, Convertio, and Browserling support up to 200mb of files at a time, and the others allow unlimited usage every day for free. All these websites have vast support library that diversifies their services.
User Experience: This is where it gets complicated as all the websites have similar features and looks. All of these websites have ads but Convertio has the least of them. All these websites allow payment feature which will give you a few extra features. You can find detailed guide to every process on these websites which enhance the user experience. Apart from all this, all these tools are completely free to use.
Features: Every tool on the list is feature-loaded, but Convertio, Zamzar, and Browserling provide cloud storage of your files which can be great if you are doing the conversions on a shared computer. These three also offer extra features like a batch convert, more storage, no ads, etc. that too for a small cost.
Part 2. One-Click to Make a Conversion: BMP to PNG Converter
When it comes to a high performance without any charges, Uniconverter is just the right thing for you. The software can be easily downloaded across various platforms and that too for free. The software comes loaded with a lot of great features, and apart from BMP or PNG, it has support for nearly all the different formats and their conversions. The software is developed by Wondershare, which is expert in making editing software and Uniconverter is just like their premium offering. Apart from basic and advanced conversions, Uniconverter can also edit videos and images.
Conversion Steps-Convert BMP to PNG in UniConverter
Conversion of images using Uniconverter is straightforward to do and provides speedy results. The following is a step by step guide to convert BMP to PNG so that you can easily convert the images you want quickly.
Step 1. Open Wondershare Uniconverter
The first step would be to download, install and launch Wondershare Uniconverter. Once you are done, go to the Toolbox option and click on Image Converter to get started.
Step 2. Add BMP Images that You Want to Convert
After the first step, you will be taken to the image converter option, and you will see a Add Image option on the top left corner of the window. Click on it and choose the desired images that you want to be converted. Drag and drop method can also be used, and you can convert multiple images easily.
Step 3. Select the Format (PNG) that You Want Your Images to be Converted
You will see the option Convert all images to on the top right corner. Click on that band to choose the format, and you want the images to be converted to (Select PNG).
Step 4. Start the Conversion Process-Convert BMP to PNG
Once you are through all the other processes, you can start conversion by clicking on the bottom button were Convert is written. You can change the storage location by clicking on the left and selecting the desired location.
Part 3. A Comparison Between BMP and PNG
BMP and PNG are 2 of the most widely used image extensions by professionals. They both are used for similar processes, but one surpasses the other in terms of diversity of usage. To find out, read the rest of the article carefully.
a. What are BMP and PNG?
BMP stands for Bitmap; this image extension creates images pixel by pixel and puts it together to make the final image. This is a decompressed file extension. On the other hand, PNG stands for Portable Network Graphics. This is in many ways, an advanced version of the BMP image that was made to increase the usability of an image. As you know, they are both image storage formats, and you will note a lot of similarities between them, the significant difference is noticeable, in the manner of storage and usage. If you are comparing which one is better, you should know that BMP is perhaps the oldest graphic format; hence, any judgments should be made after considering this fact.
BMP: It was probably the first-ever type of image storage format used in the first generation PCs. Bitmap images mean a map of bits or spatially mapped array of bits. Unlike every other image format, this formats renders each pixel individually due to which you might find it a bit pixilated when you try to zoom in. It is a real image and doesn’t allow much editing and takes up a lot of space. Due to this, they are mainly used on websites and during programming. In Windows XP and earlier, paint files were stored in this format only; hence they are supported on nearly every window operated the device.
PNG: PNG or Portable Network Graphics is a raster image extension which is essentially a part of Bitmap images, making them interrelated. As Bitmap images did not allow further editing, PNG was developed to cater such needs. PNG images are properly compressed which makes them a lot smaller in space than BMP images. These are heavily used in animation and graphics designing. It was designed specifically to allow transfer of images over the internet. It supports pallet based image files of a 24 bit RGB or sometime 32-bit RGBA colors. One of the main reasons for its widespread usage is the fact that it doesn’t affect the quality despite the compression and continuous sharing. It also allows image transparency due to which, you can copy or move a PNG image over another image and uses that as a background for PNG image.
b. BMP vs. PNG
Due to the similarities between them, people often compare these two extensions with each other. BMP and PNG do have similarities, but they are a lot different from each other on various aspects that are generally ignored in such comparisons. Bitmap images were made long back, hence expecting a fight from it will be unfair.
Both PNG and BMP images are very important in their own ways; these images are used for different purposes by different types of users. The following is criteria based comparison among the two formats, which will be helpful for you to understand the differences better.
Image quality will be the primary focus when comparing these two as the quality is the most important part of any image, irrespective of the format.
- PNG - PNG or Portable Network Graphics is a compressed extension that allows lossless compression, storage and sharing of image files. This format supports grayscale and transparent images which further enhances the quality.
- BMP - Bitmap images basically support 8-bit to 24-bit colors. The images in this format have high quality as each individual pixel gets rendered to form the final image. However, you will find that images become pixilated when zoomed in; this is because of the individual pixels being present.
File size is important when considering different image formats as compression and sharing compatibility is dependent on this.
- PNG - Due to being a compressed extension, the images in this format are highly compressed. This format is great for smaller sized images as higher sized images have similar size like other formats. A JPG image will be of similar size of a PNG. This is a major drawback for this format.
- BMP - BMP is a completely uncompressed image format, due to this, the files created are quite large in size. This hampers sharing properties and will also fill up your hard drive quickly. Scalability for this extension is very poor. However, it allows compression using other software.
Usability is a key criterion while comparing 2 different image extensions. The usability of an extension means how many ways can an image be used and whether or not it will be supported across different platforms.
- PNG - PNG images are widely used around the world for different purposes. It allows easy usage and readability and can be edited further for more details. PNGs cannot be printed as they lack CMYK support and are large in size. They are heavily used in making stills graphics, logos etc. due to the fact that they support transparency. They can be easily shared over the internet and can be used across multiple platforms.
- BMP - Bitmap images are exclusively used in windows based operating system and cannot be shared over the internet due to their large size and the fact that they are not supported on many devices. If you do not have a windows device, then you may need to download separate software for accessing this file. This format doesn’t allow any kind of editing as well.
c. Comparison Table
|Full Form||Portable Network Graphics||Bitmap|
|Applications||Image editing, web usage, editing of images where transparency and multi layers are used.||Their structure is simple which makes them suitable for windows framework.|
|Cons||No support for animation and works with large files only||Isn’t supported on many platforms and cannot be compressed|
There are a lot of tools available both online and offline that allow basic editing and conversions for absolutely no cost. These tools are easy to use and will surely serve your purpose right. BMP and PNG are both important image formats that have quite a lot of similarities but their storage and usage is very different from each other.
Wondershare UniConverter must be your first choice if you're looking for batch BMP to PNG conversion feature.
- Convert BMP
- Convert BMP to PNG in A Few Seconds
- How to Convert PSD to TIFF
- How to Edit BMP in Easy Method
- Using Free Converter for BMP to EPS
- What Is a PNG File
- The Best BMP File Converter in History
- How to Convert BMP to GIF Perfectly
- How to Convert BMP to TIFF in 5 Ways
- What's the Difference Between BMP and JPEG
- Convert GIF
- 6 Incredibly Tricks to Compress the Size of GIFs
- The Best Conversion Tool for WEBP to GIF
- Best GIF Recorder for Capturing Animated GIFs
- How to Crop A GIF into a Specific Size
- How to Convert to Animated GIF in 2 Best Methods
- Multi-Functional Converters for GIF to JPEG Convert
- How to Convert M4V to GIF on Mac/PC
- How to Make a Great Custom GIF - Make Your Own Animated GIF
- How to Record GIF from Screen
- 2 Best Ways to Edit Your Animated GIF
- 2 Best Ways to Design Your Funny GIF
- Converting Your GIF to Picture in 2 Different Ways
- How to Convert Images to GIF Format
- 2 Easy Ways to Add Text to A GIF
- How to Combine Two GIFs into One with Efficiency
- 5 Ways to Split GIF into Individual Frames
- Animated GIF to AVI Converter to Convert GIF to AVI Video
- GIF to MPG-How to Convert GIF to MPG without Installation Tool
- Online Free Converters to Convert GIF to PSD
- Useful Tips for Finding a GIF to WebP File Converter
- Best 11 FLV to GIF Makers in 2020
- 5 Ways to Convert GIF to ICO File
- Make Your Own GIF Video Clip & Free Download
- How to Add Music to a GIF
- MKV to GIF- How to Make GIF from MKV
- How to Convert MPG or MPEG to GIF-MPG & MPEG
- Turn PSD to GIF Raster Images Online Free and without Registration
- What is a GIF and How to Make Your Own Funny GIF
- Teach You How to Easily Convert GIF Images to WMV
- How to Play GIFs on Mac & Windows
- How to Convert EPS to TIFF Online Free
- Convert GIF to BMP in Easy Ways
- Convert JPG
- Awesome Tricks of JPEG Converter
- How to Increase JPEG Size & Resolution
- How to Convert JP2 to JPG for Free
- What is the JPEG Graphics File Format?
- How to Convert JPEG to JPG Flawless
- 11 Best JPG Converters in 2020
- How to Change JPG to PNG
- Convert JPG to PNG in Software & Online
- Easy Way to Change JPG Size
- Convert JPEG to High-Quality WebP for Free
- Useful Technique to Convert JPG Images to a Video
- 2 Different Type of Files to JPEG Format Convert--Image and Video Format to JPEG
- 2 Online Ways to Convert JPEG to MOV For Free
- Open JPEG Files on Mac & Windows without Download Software
- How to Animate JPG Files
- 5 Ways to Convert JPG to JPEG
- How to Convert JPG to PNG on Mac
- How to Convert JPG to PSD Perfectly
- Best Methods to Convert JPG to WebP
- Top 5 Ways to Convert JPG to RAW
- Easy to Rotate JPG in 4 Methods
- What is a JPG or What does JPG Stand For
- You Don't Know the Difference between JPG and GIF
- Convert JPG to High-Quality TIFF for Free Online
- How to Convert JPEG to BMP Easier
- Free CR2 to JPG Converter
- The Best Way to Crop JPG Images
- Compress and Shrink JPG Images & Photos
- Convert AI to JPG Online Without Installation
- Best ARW to JPG Converter-No Doubt
- Best Free Ways to Convert BMP to JPG
- How to Merge JPG Files
- Is There Any Differences between JPG& JPEG& and JPEG 2000
- Free NEF to JPG Converter
- How to Change PNG to JPG
- The Differences Between PNG and JPG
- Easy Way to Convert PSB to JPG
- How to Convert PSD to JPG Online for Free
- How to Convert a RAR Picture to JPG Online
- How to Convert RAW to JPG for Free
- Convert your DJVU to JPG for Free Online
- Differences Between BMP and JPG
- Best Image Format for the Web: JPG vs. PNG
- What's the Difference Between JPG& PNG& and BMP Image Formats
- Convert your JPG to PCX Easier
- How to Convert TTF to JPG Flawlessly
- How to Convert TIFF to JPG in Fast Ways
- How to Convert WebP to JPG
- Easy Way to Convert MHT to JPG
- How to Convert ODT to JPG
- One Button Convert PCX to JPG
- How to Open and Convert PDD Files to JPG
- Convert PHP to JPG Easily
- The Only Way to Convert DSC to JPG
- Convert your DXF to JPG for Free Online
- How Can You Edit a JPG File?
- 5 Best Method Convert EMF to JPG
- How to Convert EPS to JPG Online
- Free and Best Ways to Batch Convert RW2 to JPG Effortlessly
- How to Convert Screenshot to JPG
- Top 5 Ways to Convert EXR to JPG
- How to Change GIF to JPG in Effective Way
- How to Change ICO to JPG Easier
- The Best Way to Convert Image to JPG
- How to Convert JPG to AI Easily
- How to Create JPG to BMP for Free
- How to Convert JPG to EPS in 5 Ways
- Convert Your JPG to GIF for Free Online
- 6 Best JPG to ICO Converter
- Convert PNG
- How to Convert Photo to PNG File Conveniently
- Cropping a PNG Image with using Best Tool
- How to Open a PNG File
- How to Create a PNG File?
- Best 5 Methods to Convert PNG to BMP
- One-click Convert PNG to TIFF
- Optimize and Compress PNG Photos
- The Best Free PNG Converter In 2020
- How Can You Edit a PNG File?
- How to Convert PNG to JPG on Mac System
- How to Convert PNG to AI
- Very Helpful Online Converter for PNG to TGA
- How to Vectorize a PNG Image
- How to Easy Convert PNG to EPS Online for Free
- How to Change an ICO File from Image PNG
- Online Converter for Free-File Converter to PNG
- The Best Editing Tool for Flip PNG Image
- How to Fast Convert GIF to PNG without Losing Quality
- What's the Difference between GIF and PNG?
- The Best Choice for Convert CR2 to PNG
- How to Convert EMF to PNG Online Free
- Merge Multiple PNG Images into ONE
- How to Convert MP4 to PNG Online/Offline Easily
- How to Create PNG to GIF in Simple Way
- Convert PNG to MP4 with Effective PNG to MP4 Converters
- How to Convert PNG to PCX Flawless
- Best Method to Convert PNG to PSD for Free
- How to Convert PSD to PNG without Installation
- Best Tool to Convert ARW to PNG
- How to Convert NEF to PNG in Easy Way
- How to Effectively Convert PNG to IMG
- How to Convert PNG to RAW Online for Free
- PNG vs GIF — Use Which Image Format and When?
- Convert Other Images
- How to Open TIFF/TIF Files
- How to Merge TIFF Together
- How to Convert TIFF to JPG on Mac System
- Ways to Change YouTube Thumbnail - A Step-by-Step Guide
- Top 6 Ways to Download YouTube Thumbnail Online Free
- The Great YouTube Thumbnail Size Guide
- How to Convert NEF Files to JPEG
- The Best Image Converter for PEF File to JPEG File
- How to Convert RAW to JPEG on Mac/Windows System
- Free Converter for DNG to JPG
- The Most Useful Tool for CDR to PNG Convert
- Convert DDS to PNG ---Online & Free to Use
- ICO to PNG Converter Online for Free
- RAW or JPEG-Which Image Format is Better
- Convert EPS to PNG by Using Free Online Converter
- Free Online AI to PNG Converter without Download
- Top three Ways to Convert SWF to JPG Online
- Convert DDS to JPG and vice versa--Free and Online Converter
- AI to TIFF Converter Online Without Download
- The Best Way to Convert CR2 to TIFF
- The Best Converter for GIF to TIFF
- Convert NEF to TIFF Flawless
- The Best Way of Converting RAW to TIFF
- Top 10 Ways to Convert BMP to ICO
- Best Method to Convert PNG to WebP
- What is the BMP File?
- The Best Converter Software for TGA to JPG
- How to Convert WMF to JPG or JPG to WMF Easily
- How to Easily Convert DCM to JPG Online
- Easy Way to Convert PS to PNG
- How to Convert RAW to PNG Easily
- How to Convert JIF to JPG?
- How to Easily Convert RTF to JPG
- The Best Free Converter for RAF to JPG
- Most Useful Converters for SVG to JPG
- Resize Image
- 7 Easy Methods to Resize Photo on iPhone/iPad
- Resize Image Android: Top 6 Photo Resizer for Android
- Top 12 Photo Resizer App 2020 for Windows/Mac/Smartphone
- How to Resize Images with OpenCV Python/CSS/PHP
- Top 6 Easy Ways on How to Resize Image in KB
- How to Resize Images in cm& mm& inches Online Easily
- How to Resize Images in Pixels Online and Free
- 3 Ways to Resize Images on Linux Without Losing Quality
- Best Image Compressor and Resizer Online & Free
- Easy Guide to Resize Signature Online Easily
- Top 6 Ways to Crop and Resize Images Online and Free
- Top 3 Icon Resizer to Resize Icon Online
- Easy Steps to Resize Image for WhatsApp Profile
- How to Resize An Image in InDesign Without Losing Quality
- Step-by-step Guide on How to Resize Image with Illustrator
- Easy Guide on How to Resize Images in Canva
- Instagram Photo Resizer: How to Resize Photo for Instagram Easily
- Twitter Picture Resizer: How to Resize Images for Twitter Online Free
- Easy Steps to Resize Photos for Facebook Online Free
- Top 4 Ways to Resize Images for YouTube Easily
- A Full Guide on How to Use FastStone Photo Resizer
- Top 9 GIF Resizer to Resize GIF Online and Free
- Top 6 Ways to Resize BMP Files Easily and Quickly
- Top 5 Passport Photo Resizer: Resize Images to Passport Size Easily
- How to Resize A Logo Without Losing Quality
- How to Use Pixlr to Resize Images Without Losing Quality
- How to Resize An Image in GIMP Easily
- How to Resize An Image in Photoshop CC/CS6
- Top 10 Easy Methods to Resize JPG Online and Free
- [8 Methods] How to Resize PNG Online Free
- A Full Guide to Resize PNG Without Losing Quality
- How to Make Perfect Youtube Thumbnail Size in Photoshop
- 3 Online Photoshop Tools
- Top 8 Ways to Resize Images Easily on Windows/Mac
- Top 12 Image Resizer Online in 2020
- Top 8 Image Resizer for Windows 10/8/7
- Top 8 Bulk Resizer: How to Resize Multiple Images Online Free
- Top 6 Image Resizer for Mac to Resize Picture Without Losing Quality
- Lightroom Resize Image: How to Resize Photo in Lightroom
- Resize SVG: 2 Ways to Resize SVG Online Easily
- How to Resize Image In Paint Without Losing Quality