How to Play MKV Files in Windows Media Player Efficiently
How to Play MKV Files Easily
By Kendra D. Mitchell |
Windows Media players can not play MKV files directly due to the mismatch of the codec. When the Windows media player could not understand the codec, it simply showed an error. This article provides three solutions for not playing MKV in Windows Media Player. First, you can find a codec for Windows Media player, which can support MKV files. Second, you can convert the MKV file into some format that Windows Media players can understand. Third, you can find an alternative to Windows Media Player, which can play MKV files easily.
Part 1. How to Play MKV Files with Windows Media Player Using Codec Package
If you are trying to play MKV files in Windows Media player, it may be supporting only audio files and not the video files, or both may not be supported by WMP. So, first, you need to install a codec package for your PC. Codec package is a plug-in that can be installed on a system to play audio or video files that has been compressed. If you want to play MKV files on Windows Media player, follow the next steps to install the proper codec package.
Step 1: First, right-click on the MKV file that you want to play, then open it using Windows Media player, you'll find a window showing that "the player might not support the file type or it may not run the codec."
Step 2: Then click on "web help."
Step 3: The link that you've opened, you'll find a codec link, click on it, and open it. Copy and paste the link inside the search bar, to open the codec package. Then, click on 'run' and install the codecs by following the instructions.
Step 4: Then, click on the recommended settings option. If your system is using 34bit, then select the 34-bit option, if it is using 64 bit, select the 64-bit option. Then finally, the codec package will install in your system, you will be able to play the MKV file using Windows Media player.
Part 2. How to Play MKV Files with Alternative Player
You can play an MKV file using an alternative player like VLC media player, beside windows media player.
The VLC media player is one of the most popular music players across the world. It's freely available on the internet at https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html and can be installed on any OS such as Windows, Linux, or MAC OS.
If you want to open an MKV file using VLC, then follow these steps:
Step 1: Select the MKV file, right-click on it, and select 'open with' and select VLC media player. You can use it as a default application to open by right-clicking on the file and then select 'properties,' then select VLC as the default application.
Step 2: After that, close all tabs, select the MKV file, and double click on it, it will open with VLC without any problem.
If you can't still play the MKV file using VLC, you can try to convert the MKV to WMV, MPEG-4, and other file formats that can support VLC.
Part 3. Another Choice to Play MKV Files Easily: Convert MKV to MP4 Online
If you are trying to play MKV on your pc, and could not open it using your existing media player, you can convert it to MP4 using Online UniConverter.
Try these steps followingly to do so.
Step 1: Open your browser and type Online UniConverter. Go to the website https://www.media.io and try it for free.
Step 2: Add MKV files or the file into Online UniConverter.
Step 3: Select the output format as MP4 or another format as you want.
Step4: Now, click on 'Convert' and start the conversion.
Create Your Incredible Videos Anywhere, Anytime!
- Tips & Tricks of Playing Videos
- How to Play VR Videos on iPhone
- The Ways to Fix Videos not Playing on Chrome
- How to Play a Video in Reverse on TikTok
- Easy Tricks to loop a Youtube Video
- Tips to Fix Instagram Videos not Playing
- How to Play MKV Files in Windows Media Player Efficiently
- How to Play MKV on iPhone
- Can We Play MP4 Video Online?
- The Ways to Play Youtube in Background
- The Ways to Fix Twitter Videos not Playing
- The Tricks to Fix Videos not Playing on iPhone
- How to Play VOB in Windows Media Player Easily
- How to Play a MOV File Using Windows Media Player Effortlessly
- How to Fix Youtube Videos Not Playing
- Top Video Players
- Top Five 4k Video Players in 2021
- Top 8 AVI Video Players for Windows
- Best 5 AVI Video Players For Android
- Best 6 AVI Video Players for Mac
- The Excellent Video Players for Mac
- The Best Free Video Players for Windows
- 5 Best HTML5 Video Player
- 5 Amazing iPad Video Players
- Compare the Two Best Video Player
- The Amazing Video Players for Windows
- Top 5 Android Video Players
- VLC Video Player is Awsome
- Top 6 MP4 Media Player in 2020
- The Ecellent Youtube Video Player