How to Change Video Resolution Easily on Different Platforms
How to Increase Video Resolution
By Kendra D. Mitchell |
There are several situations when you would need to change the resolution of your video files. For instance, while uploading a video from the computer to your smartphone, or while posting a video to an online site, the resolution needs to be decreased. Similarly, if you try burning a video file to a DVD, the decision of the file needs to be increased as disc supports a higher resolution file. Thus to change the resolution of your videos, you need to take the help of the related tools and programs. To help you, we have shortlisted the best tools to change the video file resolution.
Part 1. How to Improve Video Quality Offline Free- Wondershare UniConverter
To help you increase and improve video resolution in a hassle-free manner, Wondershare UniConverter works as an excellent software. This offline program can be easily installed on your Windows or Mac system and supports almost video formats. No matter whether you want to upload your videos to a smartphone or other devices, share it on social media, or burn it to a DVD, Wondershare UniConverter allows editing its resolution as well as other parameters in a few quick steps. Additionally, several pre-defined formats with the resolution are also supported by the tool for the immediate conversion and resolution change. Other supported features of the device include video conversion, transfer, editing, disc burning, download, and others.
Steps on How to Change Video Resolution using Wondershare UniConverter
Step 1. Load the Video Files to the UniConverter Software
Download, install and run the Wondershare UniConverter software on your PC. On the Converter tab click on the +Add Files button to browse and load the video for which resolution needs to be changed.
Thumbnail with file data including resolution can be seen on the interface for the added files.
Step 2. Change the Video Resolution
Click on the Setting button, then choose the Video tab and select your output format. After that, click on the Edit icon and a new pop-up window will appear. Find Resolution, select your desired value and click on the Create button to confirm.
Step 3. Change the Video Resolution in batch
To change the resolution of all the added files in batch, find Output Format option at the bottom of the interface, click on the down-facing arrow next to it and you can edit the resolution value in the popping-up window.
If you are looking for a solution on how to lower the resolution of a video, the above steps can be used.
Part 2. Change Video Quality/Resolution Online Free Tool
Free tools are a great way to edit your files without installing or registering any software. So if you are looking for a simple and freeway on how to change a resolution of a video, below listed tools will work great.
This is one of the popularly used online tools that support basic video editing features, including change in resolution. Earlier known as Media.io, the program works straight from the browser-window and supports basic video formats like MP4, MOV, WMV, and others. You can choose to keep the resolution as the source file or select from the available options. Change in the file size and format is also supported.
Steps on How to Change a Video Resolution using Online UniConverter
Step 1. On your PC browser window, open https://www.media.io/video-compressor.html. Click on the + button to browse and add the video file from the system. You can also drag and drop the file.
Step 2. After the file is added, choose the desired resolution from the drop-down menu. You can also select the file size and the format.
Step 3. Click on the COMPRESS button to start the file processing.
After compressing, the processed files can be downloaded to your PC.
Online Video Converter
Using this online tool, local as well as online files, can be added to the program interface. The tool also has an option to record the video for processing. Supported video formats include MP4, MOV, WMV, MKV, M4V, and others. The program is compatible with all modern browsers, and there are no restrictions on the number of files that can be processed. You can change the output format of the video and also resolution as needed. Processed files can be downloaded from the program interface.
Steps to Change Video Resolution Online using Online Video Converter
Step 1. Launch https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/ on your PC window. Add the local or the online video using a URL.
Step 2. The program will upload the added file to the interface. Next, choose the output format and then click on the More Settings option and here you can choose the resolution from the Video Quality section.
Step 3. Click on the START button to initiate the process.
Using Clideo, video on URL, local system, Google Drive, and Dropbox can be added to the program interface for the process. The program has predefined settings related to resolution and size, depending on which social media network you want to upload the video. Thus using this online tool, you can resize the video for social network, and there are no options for any manual changes.
Steps to Change Resolution using Clideo
Step 1. Run https://clideo.com/resize-video on your PC. Click on the Choose file button to load the desired file from the local system or the cloud storage.
Step 2. After the file is loaded, choose the social media network for which you wish to resize your file. You can see that resolution at the bottom-left corner changes with each site.
Step 3. Click on the Resize button to start the file processing.
With support to MP4, AVI, MOV, and many other formats, this is simple and free to use online tool for changing file resolution and other tasks. Multiple file resolution options are supported by the tool. Under the advanced settings, you can also change the file to a 4K quality and edit its bit rate, and other parameters. The files once added, are automatically processed by the program.
Steps on How to Fix Video Resolution using HD Converter
Step 1. On your PC open https://hdconvert.com/. Click on the Convert Now button.
Step 2. Under the Basic Settings tab, choose the output file quality and the resolution needed. The Advanced Settings window can be used for editing bit rate and other file parameters.
Step 3. Next click on the +Browse files button to browse and load the video from your PC.
Step 4. The tool will start uploading and processing the file after which it can be downloaded to your system.
Part 3. More Information about Video Resolution
a. What is Video Resolution?
In the simplest terms, video resolution or a display resolution means the quantity or the numbers of the pixels that each dimension is capable of displaying. The resolution of a video file is defined in width X height. For example, a file with 852 X 480 resolutions denoted 852 as the width and 480 as the height. Commonly there are two main types of video resolution that include Standard Definition (640 X 360, 640 X 480, 720 X 480m 720 X 576 are the common resolution used) and High Definition (1280 X 720, 1920 X 1080 are commonly used). The higher is the value of the resolution, the sharper will be the video file, and also the size of the file will be large.
b. How is Video Resolution Differ from Video Compression?
Video resolution and video compression are different things but still related. Video compression is the process of reducing the data from the video to reduce its file size. When the file size becomes challenging to store or share, file compression needs to be done by changing its size, resolution, and other file parameters. With the latest technology, compression can be achieved by removing the unwanted data so that there is no loss in video quality.
c. What Do the 720p, 1080p, 1440p, 2K, 4K Resolutions Mean?
Commonly, the video resolution is defined in short form by their numbers like 720p, 1080p, 2K, 4K, and others. These numbers denote the horizontal line present on display. The introduction of the commonly used names in resolution is enlisted below.
720p: This is commonly known as HD or HD ready resolution and stands for 1280 X 720 pixels. Majority of the TV channels broadcast their videos at this resolution.
1080p: This is known as Full HD or True HD resolution and stands for 1920 X 1080 pixels. The resolution offers a widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9.
1440p: It is commonly termed as QHD or Quad HD resolution and mainly found on high-end mobile phones and gaming monitors. This resolution is 4 times that of HD or HD ready.
2K: This resolution value is majorly used by the projector and comes with 2048 X unspecified value.
4K: Known as UHD, Ultra HD resolution, and 4K, it denotes 3840 X 2160 value. This type of resolution is mainly found on high quality and premium TV sets and PC monitors. The name 4K comes from the fact that the resolution width is almost close to 4000 pixels, and it also offers 4 times value to Full HD videos.
So to deal with your situation on how can I change the resolution of a video, we have above listed various online and desktop tools that can be used. For basic settings of a few files, online programs can be used, but for professional and high-quality processing, install Wondershare UniConverter on your system.
Media.io - Online Video Editor
Create Your Incredible Videos Anywhere, Anytime!
- Add Music
- Add Music to Video on Windows/iOS
- Add Music to Video on iMovie
- Add Background Music to Video
- Add Music to Facebook Post
- Add Music to Instagram Video
- Add Music to Snapchat
- Add Music to Tiktok Video
- Add Music to Youtube Video
- Add Sound to A Video
- Add Spotify Music to Video
- Add Music to Video with Android & iPhone App
- 6 Best Android Apps to Add Music to Video
- [8 Best Websites] Listen to Hindi Songs
- Audio Cutter
- Best Audio Trimmer for Android
- 5 Best Free Music Ringtones Apps for Android & iPhone
- Best Free Online MP3 Cutter
- Best Ringtone Songs
- Precisely Trim MP3 File
- Cut Music
- Crop Audio Online
- Cut Music on Garageband
- Cut Music on iMovie
- Edit MP3 Audio File
- Edit Audio with Final Cut Pro
- 6 Best Online Audio Editors
- Cut & Join MP3 Songs Online
- Change Ringtone on iPhone
- Make a YouTube Song Your Ringtone on Android
- Make a Song Your Ringtone on iPhone
- Make Ringtone for iPhone Without iTunes
- Trim WAV File
- Trim Audio with Audacity
- Trim MP3 on Mac and Windows 10
- Trim an MP3 File Online
- Merge MP3 Files Effortlessly
- Combine Multiple Files into One File
- Vocal Remover
- 10 Best Vocal Remover Online
- Use Audacity to Remove Vocal
- Get HD Karaoke from Songs
- Convert MP3 to Karaoke
- Best Alternatives to MP3 Karaoke Software
- Best Sites to Find Free Instrumentals
- Best Free Sites to Get Karaoke
- Get an Acapella from Songs
- Use Audacity to Remove Background Music
- Extract Audio Sound from Video on All Platforms
- 12 Best Acapella Extractors Online
- 4 Best Ways to Use Acapella App for PC/Windows/Mac
- 5 Best Ways to Remove Music from Video [with/without voice]
- Top 5 Free Vocal Removers Apps for Android
- 4 Best Free Acapella Apps for Android
- 3 Highly Rated YouTube to Karaoke Converters
- Easily Get& Make & Add Background Music for YouTube Videos
- 8 Best Online Vocal Removers from YouTube
- 7 Fast Online Ways to Extract Music from Video
- 20 Best Happy Instrumental Songs to Lift Your Spirits
- Top 5 Free Ways to Make a Song Instrumental on Any Device
- 5 Free DJ Voice Makers Online (TTS) with Bonus Tips
- 10 Best Free DJ Song Maker to Mix DJ Music Online
- 12 Best Free Audio Editors Online
- Top 3 MP4 Vocal Removers
- Easily Extract Movie Soundtrack [Background Music/Dialogue]
- Easily Edit/Extract Audio from Video on Mac
- 22 Best Free Background Music for Video
- Easily Get & Make & Add Background Music for YouTube Video
- Easily Remove & Generate Lyrics of Song
- Easily Mix & Master a Song
- 9 Excellent Online Voice Recorders
- 15 Best Vocal Warm-Ups for Singing Better
- 8 Best Voice Remover & Cancellation Softwares
- Loop Video
- Loop a Video online without Watermark
- Stop Videos from Automatically Playing on Facebook
- Play a Video on a Loop on Chromecast
- Loop a Video for Instagram
- Loop a Video in HTML
- Loop a Video on Android
- Loop a Video on My Phone
- Loop a Video on TV
- Loop a Video on Twitter
- Loop a Video on Vimeo
- Loop a YouTube Video
- 5 Best Video Merger Apps for Android
- Mute Video
- Top 9 Online Easy Tools to Mute Videos
- Remove Audio from Video on Android
- Mute Video on iPhone Free
- Top 10 Apps: Remove Audio from Video on Mobile
- Top 3 Ways: Remove Audio from Video on Windows 10/8/7
- Mute Video in iMovie Mac
- Remove Audio from Video on Mac
- Remove Audio from Video in Premiere Pro/CC
- Remove Audio from YouTube Videos
- Remove Audio from Videos [All Platforms]
- Video Editor
- Add Audio to Video Online
- Top 3 Kapwing Alternatives - Add Audio to Video Online
- Top 5 Clideo Alternatives - Add Audio to Video Online
- Top 6 Biteable Alternatives - Add Audio to Video Online
- Top 5 iPhone APPs to Add Music to Video
- Free Apps to Add Music to Video
- Make Video Louder
- Remove Audio/Sound from Video
- 7 Easy Ways to Remove Audio from MP4 File
- Trim MP3 File with/without Windows Media Player
- Add Subtitles to Video/Movie for Free
- 6 Methods to Add Caption to Video
- Add Subtitles/Text to AVI Video
- Add Subtitles to MP4 File Permanently
- Add Text to My Video for Free
- Add Text to YouTube Video
- Top 3 Ways to Add Watermark to Video on Mac
- Add Special Effects to Video for Windows & Mac
- Put Stunning Filters to Video
- Brighten A Video
- Change Video Resolution on Different Platforms
- Crop Video Files Easily
- Crop MP4 File Using Online MP4 Video Cutter
- MPEG Video Trimmer - Fast MEPG Cut
- Make a Video File Smaller
- Downsize MOV (QuickTime) File Size
- Trim MP4 Video File
- Top 7 Best AVI Trimmers for Any System
- Top 7 Free Video Trimmer Software for Windows
- Top Video Cropper Software for Mac & Windows
- Review - Best Online and Desktop Video Cutter
- Rotate a Video
- Rotate 3GP Video to 90/180 Degrees
- Rotate or Flip MP4 Video File in Windows & Mac
- Flip & Mirror & Rotate a Video File
- Rotate MP4 File Extension
- Science about Fast Motion
- 7 Reasons for Why to Speed up Video on iPhone
- Speed up a Video on Android
- Top 3 Fast Motion iOS APPs
- Speed up Your Youtube
- Speed up a Video on iMovie
- Top 7 Apps to Speed up Video
- Top 6 Fast Motion Video Speed Controller Softwares
- What Studies Say about Slow Motion
- Slow Down a Video on iPhone
- Top 7 Slow Motion iOS Apps
- Top 6 Slow Motion Android Apps
- TOP 8 Softwares to Make Slow Motion Video
- Make Slow Motion with TikTok
- Slow Down Youtube Videos
- Slow Down TikTok Video
- Slow Motion VS Fast Motion
- Make Your Video Faster or Slower Online
- 5 Best Video Speed Controllers
- Change Video Format in High Quality
- Restore VHS Tapes & Transfer to Computer
- Top 6 Best Free AVI Editors
- Edit MOV Video Files in Windows & Mac
- Edit MP4 Files in 2 Different Ways
- Edit MPEG Files on Mac & Windows
- Top 8 MP4 Video Editor Tools
- Top 5 FLV Video Editors
- The Most Valuable WebM Editor to Use
- The Best Free WMV Editor
- Grow YouTube Channel Fast
- Edit YouTube Videos for Free
- Top 18 Best YouTube Video Editing Tools
- Top 10 Video Enhancers to Improve Video Quality
- Edit Video with Filmora Video Editor
- Top 25 Video Editing Softwares
- Top 15 Video Editing Tools for Windows
- Top 8 Video Editing Softwares for Mac
- Edit Your Video on Windows & Mac
- Merge Video
- Combine Videos Together
- Combine Two Videos in 5 Ways
- Top 5 Ways to Merge Subtitles with Video
- 15 Best Apps to Combine Videos
- Merge MP4 Files on Windows 10
- 3 Best Options to Merge Videos on Windows 10
- Top 12 Handy Video Joiners for PC
- Top 5 Joiners to Merge MP4 Files on Mac
- Apply VLC to Merge/Combine 2+ Videos
- Best VLC Alternative to Merging MP4 Files
- Merge Clips Using Adobe Premiere Pro
- Merge Clips Using iMovie
- Merge Clips Using Handbrake
- Concatenate Videos Using FFmpeg
- Merge Videos Free without Watermark
- Top 5 Video Mergers without Watermark
- Merge Photos/Images Online
- Merge MP4 Online with Online UniConverter
- Top 10 MP4 Joiners/Combiners
- Top 6 Online Video Joiners
- Top 8 Free Tools to Merge Videos
- Top 10 Useful Video Stitchers
- Merge Files without Losing Quality
- Cut and Join Video within Seconds
- Best 10 Online Audio Video Mergers
- Slideshow Maker
- Add Music to Photo Online
- Make a Slideshow with Music
- Top 5 MP3 Photo Editors to Add Photo to Song
- Turn JPG/Slideshow to MP4
- Create Photo Slideshow with Online PowerPoint
- Top 10 Online Free Video Slideshow Makers
- Top 10 Free Online Slideshow Makers without Watermark
- 12 Free Slideshow Softwares for PC/Mac
- Funny Birthday Video Ideas
- Best Graduation Slideshow Ideas
- Make a Perfect Wedding Slideshow
- Free Real Estate Slideshow Makers
- Make a Unique Happy Birthday Video Clip
- Mother's Day Slideshow Design
- 10 Fantastic Father's Day Video Ideas
- Tribute to a Loved One with Funeral Slideshow
- Make a Slideshow on Windows 10/PC
- Make a Slideshow on Mac
- Make a Slideshow on iPhone
- Make a Slideshow Apps on Android
- Make a YouTube Slideshow
- Create Instagram Photo Slideshow
- Create a Facebook Slideshow
- Create a Google Slideshow with Music
- Make Slideshow on TikTok
- Add Audio to Video
- Add Audio to Video Online
- Add Audio to Video for Free
- Add Music to Video Online Free
- Put Music in the Background of Video
- Add Music to a Video Easily
- Add Audio to Video Easily
- Edit Sound in a video
- Edit Music Video Online for Free
- Add Music to Video Online without Watermark
- Add audio to MKV video
- Make a Video with Photos and Music for Free
- Top 10 Apps to Add Audio to Video or Photo
- Add Audio to YouTube
- Add music to YouTube video
- Add background music in YouTube video online
- Add Music to Instagram Video
- Add Audio to a Video on iPhone
- Put Music over a video on iPhone
- Top 10 Apps to Add Music to Video on iPhone
- Add Audio to Aideo on Android
- Easily Add Music to Video in Windows 10
- Top 8 tools to Add Audio to Video in Windows 10
- Top 10 Apps to Add Audio to Video on Mac
- Top 10 Softwares to Add Audio to Video
- Top 8 Apps to Add Music to Video
- Top 10 Apps to Put Music on Video
- Top 10 Apps to Add Music to Video
- Top 6 Tools to Make a Video with Music
- Top 8 Tools to Merge Video & Audio Online
- Remove Watermark Online